Georg Stadler Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences New York University 251 Mercer Street New York City, NY 10012, USA
Phone: +1 212 998 3111
Office: #1111 Warren Weaver Hall
My research focus is on applied and computational mathematics, in particular on parallel scientific computing, inverse problems and optimization with PDEs, uncertainty quantification, and on numerical methods for variational inequalities. The main applications driving my research are in geophysics and fluid dynamics.
Conferences, Travel and News
- Aug 4: I’ll be at the Advancing X-cutting Ideas for Computational Climate Science meeting in DC Sep. 12-13.
- Aug 4: I will attend the SAMSI Optimizaton Program Opening Workshop in Durham, NC Aug 29-Sep 2.
- March 24: I’ll give a talk on Inversion/UQ in Geophysics at the CIG Meeting in Davis, CA June 20-22.
- March 20: Giving a talk to high-school students on Mathematics and Supercomputing at cSplash on April 23.
- March 10: Congrats to PhD students Johann Rudi for winning the student paper competition at the Copper Mountain Conference, and to Tobin Isaac for receiving an outstanding PhD thesis award. Both, Johann and Tobin are student at UT Austin, who were co-advised with Omar Ghattas.
- Feb 25: I will attend the PASC16 conference from June 8 to June 10.
- Feb 20: I will be attending the SIAM Conference on Uncertainty Quantification in Lausanne, Switzerland from April 5-8.
- Nov 10: A flyer for my special topics class Computational and Variational Methods for Inverse Problems is now available. Please contact me if you’ve questions.
- Nov 14: I will be teaching a compact course on Computational methods & UQ for inverse problems during January 11-15, 2016 at the TU Munich, Germany.
- Sep 1: If you intend to take my Numerical Methods I class, please see the website for information. If you have a question that isn’t already answered in the list of FAQs, feel free to email me or stop by.
- Aug 30: Our paper on scalable Stokes solvers is a finalist for the Gordon Bell Award in Supercomputing—see the article in HPC Wire!
- Aug 15: I will attend the Enumath Conference in Ankara (Turkey) from September 14-18.
- June 25: I will be teaching a graduate level course on Numerical Methods next fall, and an advanced topics course on computational inverse problems with PDEs next spring.
- June 25: I will attend the Rocky Mountain Summer Workshop on UQ from July 15-17.
- June 20: Please visit the summary page for the final projects the students in my HPC class worked on.
- May 25: I will attend the SIAM Conference on Mathematical and Computatioal Issues in the Geosciences in Stanford between June 29 and July 2. I’m co-organizing a mini symposium on Bayesian inverse problems in the geosciences there.
- May 30: I’ll be visiting the Institute of Natural Sciences at Shanghai Jiao Tong University and NYU Shanghai during June 1-10. I’ll give a talk on large-scale Bayesian inverse problems on June 3.
- April 10: I’ll be giving a talk in the Applied Mathematics Seminar at UC Berkeley/LBL on April 15.
- March 4: I will attend the SIAM CSE meeting in Salt Lake City. I’m co-organizing a minisymposium on large-scale Bayesian inference problems, and a minisymposium on forward and inverse ice sheet simulations.
- Dec 18: Read the story on Tobin Isaac’s PhD research from the ICES website.
- Nov 22: Our poster won the Best Poster Award at SC14!
- October 31: While I am not planning to attend this year’s AGU Fall Meeting, some of my collaborators are presenting talks and posters there.
- Nov 13/14: I’ll be at the Diamond project meeting in Boston.
- November 3: Johann Rudi’s poster is a finalist for the Best Poster Award at this year’s Supercomputing Conference SC14 in New Orleans!
- September 1: I will be teaching Linear Algebra (one term), MATH-GA 2111.011 this fall. Please see the teaching tab.
- June 5: I am excited to join NYU’s CIMS this fall.
- February 24: High-order multigrid Matlab testbed HoMG is now available from Github. The corresponding documentation/paper is available from the arXiv:1402.5938.
- I will be attending SIAM UQ in Savannah (March 31-April 3), and am co-organizing a minisymposium on UQ for ice sheet models.
- I’ll attend SIAM Optimization in San Diego in May.
- December 18: I’ll be giving a seminar talk at the Mathematics department of Berlin’s Humboldt university; here’s the abstract.
- June 3: For a summary of our wave minisymposium at the SIAM CSE conference see this SIAM News article.
- November 25/26: I’ll be visiting the University of Maryland, College Park and give a talk in the Numerical Analysis Seminar.
- November 20/21: I will be at the PISCEES project meeting in Albuquerque.
- November 11/12: All-hands Diamond project meeting at ICES, UT Austin.
- October 1: My talk at the Applied Mathematics Department at NPS Monterey got cancelled due to the (increadibly unnecessary) government shutdown.
- September 30: Giving a talk at Stanford’s CEES.
- July 27-Aug 1: I will be at ICCOPT13, the International Conference on Continuous Optimization. I am co-organizing the cluster on PDE-constrained optimization.
- July 17-19: I will be attending the European Conference on Computational Optimization (EUCCO) in Chemnitz, Germany. I’m co-organizing a focus session on Computational Inverse Problems there.
- June 17-20: I will be at the SIAM Conference on Mathematical and Computational Issues in the Geosciences in Padova, Italy.
- June 11-14: I will attend MAFELAP at Brunel University London.
- May 22-24: I am attending the Workshop on Large-scale Inverse Problems and Quantification of Uncertainty: Big Data Meets Big Models in Santa Fe, NM.
- March 25: I gave a research talk in SIVIRT, the Center for Simulation, Visualization and Real-Time Prediction at UT San Antioio.
- Feb 25-March 1: I am at the SIAM CSE Conference. I am co-organizing minisymposia on Inverse Full Waveform Inverion and Forward on Inverse Ice Sheet Modelling.