Courant Institute of Mathematical
For more information please contact Prof. Richard Pollack (pollack "AT" cims.nyu.edu).
The geometry seminar covers a wide range of topics in geometry with
particular emphasis on discrete geometry, computational geometry
and algorithmic real algebraic geometry. Many of the speakers are
Courant Institute visitors and postdocs. A seminar talk may cover
original research or report on an interesting paper. The seminar is
run by Janos Pach,
and Joseph Malkevitch.
- Jan 22,
Northeastern University, Boston.
Chirality in abstract polytopes.
- Feb 5,
SUNY, Stony Brook.
Taking shortcuts in Euclidean space.
- Feb 19,
Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
Why quantum computers cannot work.
- Feb 26,
Tel Aviv University,Tel Aviv.
Distinct distances on two lines.
- March 5,
Universit Libre de Bruxelles.
The complexity of order type isomorphism.
- March 12,
SUNY, Stony Brook.
Non-obtuse triangulations of PSLGs.
- April 16,
Purdue University, West Lafayette.
Towards a real analogue of the Bezout inequality and applications to incidence problems.
- April 30,
Stanford University, Stanford, CA.
Quantifying the Inefficiency of Equilibria.
- May 7,
Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv.
Improved Bounds for Indidences between Points and Circles.
- May 14,
Antonio Lerario ,
Purdue University. West Lafayette.
Complexity of intersections of real quadrics and topology of symmetric
- Sep 25, Andreas Holmsen, KAIST, Republic of Korea.
- Order-types, Erdos-Szekeres theorems, and realization spaces for convex sets.
- Oct 02, Joe Mitchell, SUNY, Stony Brook.
- Visibility Coverage Tours.
- Oct 09, Micha Sharir,, Tel Aviv University.
- Delaunay (and other) triangulations of moving points: What's going on?
- Oct 16, Jie Gao, Stony Brook University.
- The Weakness of Strong Ties in Social Networks: Revisited
- Oct 30, Juergen Eckhoff,, Technische University Dortmund.
- On the f-vectors of families of boxes in R^d and the minimum numbers of cliques in graphs.
- Nov 06, Michael Sagraloff, Max-Planck-Institut for Informatik.
- Exact Geometric Computing - From Numerical Analysis to Algebraic Geometry
- Nov 13, Filip Moric, EPFL, Lausanne.
- On large distances in convex polygons: a computational approach
- Nov 20, Boris Aronov, NYU Poly.
- Nov 27, Ein-Ya gura, Hebrew University.
- Insights into Game Theory: An Alternative Mathematical Experience
- Dec 18, Marie-Francoise Roy,, University of Rennes, France.
- An elementary recursive bound for Hilbert 17th problem.
- Jan 31, Avi Wigderson, IAS, Princeton.
- Local correction of codes and Euclidean Incidence Geometry.
- Feb 07, Andrew Winslow, , Tufts University.
- Hidden Guards in Art Gallery Problems.
- Feb 21, Andy Frohmader, , Cornell University.
- How to construct a flag complex with a specified face vector.
- Feb 28, Saugata Basu, , Purdue University.
- Refined bounds on the number of connected components of sign conditions on a variety.
- Mar 06, Igors Gorbovickis , Cornell University.
- Two special cases of the Kneser-Poulsen conjecture.
- Mar 27, Thomas Zaslavsky , Binghamton University, SUNY.
- Whitney Numbers of Partitioned Matroids: Betti Numbers of
Partitioned Hyperplane Arrangements.
- Apr 03, Gunter Ziegler, , Freie Universitat, Berlin.
- Partitions of polygons and the permutahedron.
- Apr 10, Adrian Dumitrescu, , University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
- Under Pressure.
- Apr 24, Csaba D. Toth, , University of Calgary.
- Packing anchored rectangles.
- May 08, Michael Biro, , SUNY Stony Brook.
- Beacon Based Routing and Coverage
- May 15, Martin Henk, , Universit
t Magdeburg, Germany.
- Roots of Steiner polynomials