Georg Stadler Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences New York University 251 Mercer Street New York City, NY 10012, USA
Phone: +1 212 998 3111
Office: #1111 Warren Weaver Hall
My research focus is on applied and computational mathematics, in particular on parallel scientific computing, inverse problems and optimization with PDEs, uncertainty quantification, and on numerical methods for variational inequalities. The main applications driving my research are in geophysics and fluid dynamics.
Teaching: No teaching in Spring 2018.
SISC: I am an associate editor for the SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing
Organization: I’m co-organizing Courant’s Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing Seminar
Students: Current PhD students: Karina Koval, Chen Li, Melody Shih (all NYU), Johann Rudi (UT Austin, co-advised with Omar Ghattas). Former PhD students: Yair Daon (NYU), Tobin Isaac (at UT Austin, with Omar Ghattas).
Postdoc opportunities: I have one open postdoc position focusing on computational inverse problems and inverse UQ, starting in fall 2018. See details. Please also consider applying to the Courant Instructurship Program.
Conferences, Travel and News
- April 6: Giving a lecture for high-school students at csplah on April 14 on the Maths behind bitcoin.
- March 14: I will be at SIAM UQ in Garden Grove, CA, this April.
- Feb 9: I will be going to SIAM PP in Tokyo in March, and am spending the week before at JAMSTEC.
- Feb 9: Giving a talk in the Numerical Analysis Seminar at NC State on February 13 at 3pm.
- Jan 10: Giving talks in the Mathematics Department of the University of Colognue on January 12 at 2pm, and in the Mathematics Department of TU Darmstadt on January 16 at 5pm.
- Nov 15: I will give a colloquium in Darmstadt, Germany on January 17, 2018. This will be a talk for a general mathematically interested public, and despite the German abstract, it will be in English.
- Nov 15: I will give Courant’s AOS colloquium on Dec 13.
- Nov 1: I am co-organizing a 2-week Gene Golub Summer School in Breckenridge, Colorado in June 2018. Please take a look at our website, which is now accepting applications.
- Oct 20: Congrats to Yair for defending his PhD thesis!
- Aug 15: I will attend the Workshop on Bayesian and Nonlinear Inverse Problems at the Lorenz Center in Leiden, Holland.
- May 6: I’ll attend the Oberwolfach workshop on Computational Inverse Problems in Oberwolfach, Germany.
- Feb 24: I’ll be at the SIAM Conference on CSE in Atlanta, GA, Feb 27-March 3.
- Jan 22: I am attending the Samsi workshop on statistical inverse problems
- Jan 10: Here’s a flyer for my Advanced Topics HPC class this semester.
- Jan 4: I will be giving a talk at the University of Arizona in Tucson on January 12.
- Nov 2: I’m doing two short intro sessions to the computing environment at CIMS. You can access the material by signing up for this Piazza site. Intro/question sessions are on Tuesday 11/8 and 11/15 at 12:30-13:30 in WWH #101. If you are intending to take my special topics class on HPC next semester, and you aren’t familiar with command line tools and basic UNIX, I highly recommend that you get familiar with this material posted on the Piazza site. Please email if you have questions.
- Oct 15: I will visit the Ecole Normale Superieoure de Lyon for the week of Nov 21-26. I will then visit Caltech from Nov 27-30.
- Oct 15: I’ll be at the AGU Fall Meeting in San Francisco from December 12-16, and will give a talk entitled Towards Bayesian Inversion in Mantle Convection on December 13.
- Oct 15: Giving a seminar talk at UBMC on November 7.
- Oct 10: I’ll be giving a seminar talk in the Applied Maths Colloquium at NJIT on Oct 14.
- Sep 10: Congrats to Johann for winning the 2016 ACM/IEEE Fellowship!
- Aug 4: I’ll be at the Advancing X-cutting Ideas for Computational Climate Science meeting in DC Sep. 12-13.
- Aug 4: I will attend the SAMSI Optimizaton Program Opening Workshop in Durham, NC Aug 29-Sep 2.
- March 24: I’ll give a talk on Inversion/UQ in Geophysics at the CIG Meeting in Davis, CA June 20-22.
- March 20: Giving a talk to high-school students on Mathematics and Supercomputing at cSplash on April 23.
- March 10: Congrats to PhD students Johann Rudi for winning the student paper competition at the Copper Mountain Conference, and to Tobin Isaac for receiving an outstanding PhD thesis award. Both, Johann and Tobin are student at UT Austin, who were co-advised with Omar Ghattas.
- Feb 25: I will attend the PASC16 conference from June 8 to June 10.
- Feb 20: I will be attending the SIAM Conference on Uncertainty Quantification in Lausanne, Switzerland from April 5-8.