Georg Stadler Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences New York University 251 Mercer Street New York City, NY 10012, USA
Phone: +1 212 998 3111
Office: #929 Warren Weaver Hall
My research focus is on applied and computational mathematics, in particular on parallel scientific computing, inverse problems, and optimization with PDEs and uncertainty quantification. The main applications driving my research are from geophysics and fluid dynamics.
Teaching: In spring 2022 I’m co-teaching a graduate-level half course on Bayesian Inverse Problems with Andrew Davis. Please take a look at this [flyer] and reach out if you’ve any questions. I am also teaching the upper-level undergraduate course Numerical Analysis.
Organization: I’m co-organizing Courant’s Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing Seminar
SISC: I am an associate editor for the SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing
Group: Current PhD students: Chen Li, Melody Shih, Shanyin Tong (all NYU). Former PhD students: Karina Koval, Yair Daon (NYU), Tobin Isaac and Johann Rudi (both at UT Austin, co-advised with Omar Ghattas). Current postdocs at NYU: Andrew Giuliani (co-mentored with Marsha Berger), Matt Dunlop, Florian Wechsung, Andy Davis (co with Dimitris Giannakis).
Conferences, Travel and News
- Hidden Symmetry team meeting in Priceton and Annual Meeting in New York, March 23-27.
- Giving a talk at Columbia University on Monday, March 2.
- Attending the BIRS workshop on Mathematical Modelling in Glaciology.
- Giving a talk at the Weierstrass Institute in Berlin at a Workshop on PDE-constrained Optimizatioon under Uncertainty and Mean Field Games.
- Seminar at the University of Maryland on November 5.
- Welcome to Fullbright Fellow Lukas Holbach from the University of Mainz to the group! Lukas will stay for 6 months and work on inverse problems in mantle flow.
- Travel to two workshops as part of the special semester on optimization at the Johann Radon Institute for Computational and Applied Mathematics in Linz, Austria: WS1, New Trends in PDE-constrained optimization, and WS3, Optimization and Inference under Uncertainty.
- I will attend the 2019 Ada Lovelace mantle convection workshop in Siena, Italy, at the end of August. Thanks for the invitation!
- Teaching an intro on optimization at the Simons summer school Introduction to Stellarators in Princeton, Aug 19-23.
- Giving two talks at the Weierstrass Institute in Berlin on July 10 and 11.
- Upcoming travel: ICERM workshop on Mathematical Optimization of Systems Impacted by Rare, High-Impact Random Events, June 24-28; ICIAM in Valencia, July 15-19.
- During June and July I will be visiting the Weierstrass Institute in Berlin.
- Upcoming travel: Simons Hidden Symmetries team meeting in Princeton and annual meeting in New York.
- Opening talk at cSplash’19. Thanks for the invite!
- An article about our G2S3 summerschool last summer just appeared in SIAM NEWS.
- I’ll attend ICUME 2018 in November, where I will give a talk about optimal control under uncertainty. Also giving the Mathematics colloquium at Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz, Germany, on November 22.
- I will attend the VI Latin American Workshop on Optimization and Control (LAWOC 2018) in Quito, Ecuador, September 3-7. I will also be at the SIAM MPE Conference in Philadelphia from September 13-15.
- Aug 14: Congrats to Johann Rudi for successfully defending his PhD thesis on scalable solvers for Stokes mantle flows. Very nice work! Johann will move to Argonne National Lab as 2018 Wilkinson Fellow.
- Aug 7: Giving a talk to high school students who are attending the NY Math Circle summer program on The Maths behind Bitcoin.
- June 1: Upcoming travel and talks: Seminar talk at the Inst. for Maths and Sci. Comp University of Graz (my alma mater!) on June 7; Summer school in Breckenridge, CO, June 17-30.
- April 6: Giving a lecture for high-school students at csplash on April 14 on the Maths behind bitcoin.
- March 14: I will be at SIAM UQ in Garden Grove, CA, this April.
- Feb 9: I will be going to SIAM PP in Tokyo in March, and am spending the week before at JAMSTEC.
- Feb 9: Giving a talk in the Numerical Analysis Seminar at NC State on February 13 at 3pm.
- Jan 10: Giving talks in the Mathematics Department of the University of Colognue on January 12 at 2pm, and in the Mathematics Department of TU Darmstadt on January 16 at 5pm.
- Nov 15: I will give a colloquium in Darmstadt, Germany on January 17, 2018. This will be a talk for a general mathematically interested public, and despite the German abstract, it will be in English.
- Nov 15: I am giving Courant’s AOS colloquium on Dec 13.
- Nov 1: I am co-organizing a 2-week Gene Golub Summer School in Breckenridge, Colorado in June 2018. Please take a look at our website, which is now accepting applications.
- Oct 20: Congrats to Yair for defending his PhD thesis!
- Aug 15: I will attend the Workshop on Bayesian and Nonlinear Inverse Problems at the Lorenz Center in Leiden, Holland.
- May 6: I’ll attend the Oberwolfach workshop on Computational Inverse Problems in Oberwolfach, Germany.
- Feb 24: I’ll be at the SIAM Conference on CSE in Atlanta, GA, Feb 27-March 3.
- Jan 22: I am attending the Samsi workshop on statistical inverse problems
- Jan 10: Here’s a flyer for my Advanced Topics HPC class this semester.
- Jan 4: I will be giving a talk at the University of Arizona in Tucson on January 12.