- B.A. at College of Arts & Science (CAS)
- B.S. at Tandon School of Engineering
Advisement & FAQs
For all matters concerning undergraduate advisement in mathematics, please contact the undergraduate Math Department at email@example.com.
Students intending to major in mathematics are urged to declare their major as early as possible, no later than the beginning of their junior year. Students should declare their major or minor by following the instructions here.
Students who have taken mathematics courses at another institution should refer to the Math Major Transfer Students website for information on how to get those courses evaluated for equivalency and/or used as prerequisites in the Mathematics Department.
- Math Major Bulletin 2021-2022
- University Academic Calendar
- CAS Bulletin
- College Core Curriculum
- Learning Resources
Who can I contact for advising help?
There are two main teams that can provide you with advising assistance - your home department advising team and your home school advising team. For Math Majors, the Math Department is your home department and CAS is your home school. The CAS advising team may be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Different schools at NYU may have different policies. Therefore, students with cross-school majors should always consult with both home school advising teams first before proceeding with any decisions/actions.
How do I know if I'm contacting the correct team?
The Math Department advising team can assist you with questions regarding Math course prerequisites, registering for Math courses, or any questions about Math major or minor degree requirements.
Your home school advising team can assist you with your non-Math courses, non-Math degree requirements, semester scheduling, studying abroad, or internal transfers.
Advising teams at other departments can also help you with questions pertaining to their courses or degree requirements. Examples:
- If you have a question about a Physics course, please contact the Physics Department.
- If you have a question about a degree requirement for the History Major, please contact the History Department, etc.
I have questions about specific math course content. Can I contact the Math Department advising team?
Yes, you are always welcome to reach out the Math Department advising team with any questions about math course content. However, the Math Department advising team is likely to forward your inquiry to your instructor. Your instructor is the best source and most capable to clarify any questions about course content. Therefore, if your question is time sensitive, it is probably best to contact your course instructor directly. Please remember to give your instructor at least 48 hours to respond to your original inquiry before sending any follow up emails!
I am a Math major but I don't know what courses to take. Who can I speak with to figure out which math courses align with my interests?
The Math Department assigns math majors their own faculty advisor. Math faculty advisors are math professors who can assist you with questions about your math interests, math courses, and math research. Math faculty advisors can also recommend Math courses that best align with your mathematical background/experience and interests.
I do not have a math major declared, but I would like to have a Math faculty advisor. Can you assign me one?
Unfortunately, no. Math faculty advisors are only assigned to students who have one of the following majors declared as a primary, secondary or cross-school major:
- Math Major, including Honors major
- Joint Math/Computer Science Major, including Honors major
- Joint Math/Data Science Major
- Joint Math/Economics Major, including Honors major
However, you can still reach out to the Math Department advising team about any math questions you may have. We may also be able to put you in contact with a math faculty member who can further discuss with you your math interests, although we cannot make any guarantees.
I have a math major declared from the list above, but I do not have a faculty advisor yet. When will I be assigned a faculty advisor?
If you declared a major at the Math Department recently, or you recently transferred to the Math Department, you will be assigned a faculty advisor approximately one month before the start of course registration for the upcoming semester.
- For example: if you declared a major at the Math Department during the summer 2023 break, you will be assigned a faculty advisor in mid-October 2023, one month prior to the start of course registration for the Spring 2024 semester. Spring 2024 course registration begins the week of Monday, November 13, 2023.
I have a math major declared, but I do not remember who my faculty advisor is.
All math majors, regardless of whether they are new math majors or have been one for several semesters already, will receive an email approximately one month before the start of registration with their faculty advisor listed along with their contact information.