Math at Tandon
- Majors & Minors
- BS Students
- MS Students
Tandon Math Credit By Exam
Undergraduate Tandon students with an outstanding record or with specialized competence may establish a maximum of 16 credits toward the baccalaureate degree by passing comprehensive examinations. Each department determines the courses in which such an examination is available and the examination format. Students must obtain the approval of the department giving the course, the department of major study and the Office of Undergraduate Academics. A grade of B+ or better is required to achieve credit by examination. Students registering for or attending a course at the School of Engineering may not subsequently take the examination for credit for the course or for a course with similar content. The examination may be taken only once. Students pay a fee to the Office of Records and Registration before each examination and will receive the form to take the exam after making the payment. The course and credits are posted on student’s permanent record without a grade and do not count toward the minimum-residence requirement for the bachelor’s degree or toward the GPA. Please note that credits from the credit by exam count as transfer credits. Please check with your advisor to be sure that you have not already exceeded the maximum number of transfer credits allowed for your program.
Applying the above description to the Math Department, you must score an 85 or better on the exam to receive credit for the course in question. Students interested in taking MA-UY Credit by Exams have two options:
- MA-UY Credit by Exams for select entry-level calculus courses are offered on a single date during the week before the start of the spring, summer, and fall semesters. Students must notify the math department of their intent to take the exam at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the upcoming semester by emailing email@example.com.
Upcoming exam dates:
Thursday, 9/2/21 - 12-2pm
Friday, 9/3/21 - 11am-1pm
- MA-UY Credit by Exams can also be taken during finals week of a semester in which the math course for the Credit by Exam is being offered. Students must notify the math department of their intent to take the exam at least 2 weeks prior to finals week by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For New Incoming Students:
In order to qualify to take a MA-UY Credit by Examination, you must satisfy one of the two conditions below.
- Complete the Math Diagnostic Exam and place into a calculus level course.
- Be exempt from taking the Math Diagnostic Exam based on AP, A-level, or IB Exam Scores, or approved equivalent calculus transfer credit.
Steps to acquire and submit the Credit by Examination form:
- Contact the math department regarding your interest in taking an exam by emailing email@example.com
- If approved to take an exam, you will receive the Credit by Exam form. You must complete part 1 and 2 of the form, have it signed by your major advisor, and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org with Cc: email@example.com
Submit payment for the exam (payable by check or money order made out to NYU Tandon School of Engineering) which must be received before your exam date. Exams cost $80 per credit, so for a 4 credit course, the exam will cost $320. The payment can be submitted either in-person or by mail to:
Tandon Office of Records and Registration
5 Metrotech Center
Rooms LC 260, LC 262, LC 264
Brooklyn, New York 11201
These offices are open M-F, 9am-5pm for in-person payment. This fee is non-refundable.
If you have paid for the exam, you will receive an email with the exam room, as well as other exam information, the day before the exam. Important information to consider before the exam:
The only calculator allowed to be used on the exams is the TI-30. Please be prepared with the correct calculator for the exam.
You will need an ID card to enter the building. Please take care of securing your ID card before the exam date.
You will need to be in compliance with NYUs COVID vaccine requirement which includes uploading your proof of vaccine.
You will need to complete the Daily Screener the morning of the exam. We recommend that you complete it at home before leaving for the exam and then taking a screenshot of the green pass you receive. You will need both your ID card and the green daily screener pass to enter the building.
- Once the exam is complete, the Math Department adds the grade to the credit by exam form, and the form is returned to Tandon Records and Registration by the Math Department.
- Once the graded form is received, Tandon Records and Registration sends it to the Central Registrar’s Office to update the student's transcript as needed.
Remember, you will be allowed to have only one opportunity to sit for the targeted exam(s).
For any questions about the Tandon Math Credit By Examination, please contact the Math Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.